Monday, September 20, 2010

New Disc Golf Disc Manufacturer - Maple Valley Plastics - MVP

The ION is the only disc available and PDGA approved from newcomer Maple Valley Plastics out of Michigan.  They market their discs under the MVP label.  I contacted them last week to see if they send me a sample to demo.  They did.

Let me tell you the ION is one cool disc.  it is a putter like no other.  It features a two material welded disc.  A  candy like plastic for the inner dome and a rubberish rim that thickens out similar to an aviar.  I was so excited by it that I putted for 30 minutes after opening the package today.

Here are my thoughts on the ION.  It feels great, love the change of texture on the edge.  At full speed the disc flies true and holds a great line, especially if thrown low.  At low speeds, like a lob, it floats quickly to the right (RHBH).  You can really send some crushing throws into the chains with this disc.  i assume the rubberized outer ring is designed to absorb the energy of the throw into chains to cushion the blow.  It does to some degree, but if thrown high into the chains, it had the tendency to bounce out straight.  Maybe too much spring in the disc.

I do like the disc and it will ride in my bag for awhile.  I wonder what will come next in disc design - a putter with a crumble zone? 

anybody ever throw any of these?  i am working to get my hands on some other plastic from smaller dg companies.  DareDevil out of Canada, ABC in Indiana, DKG in Memphis, Ching in Asheville, Gateway in St Louis and a few overseas manufacturers.  Stay tuned.  If you need discs or want to be on our email update list for Anderson Area Disc Golf events and news, email me at topflight@velocitydiscgolf.com

No comments:

Post a Comment